As with most things, it’s more economical to take preventative measures to keep your house free of termites than pay for an exterminator down the road. Here is a short checklist of things to check regularly in order to keep your home termite-free:
- Make sure to keep your shower pan free of leaks.
- Keep basement air vents fully exposed; don’t let them become overgrown with shrubbery.
- Keep all of your plumbing in good repair.
- When watering your lawn, don’t sprinkle stucco or wood siding.
- Keep your gutters and downspouts in good repair.
- Routinely fill in any cracks in your masonry or concrete. Use roofing grade coal-tar pitch, cement grout, or rubberoid bituminous sealers.